Friday, June 5, 2009

Hello SD Blogosphere

Welcome to my blog. I will ask that you are patient with me since this is my first attempt at blogging. You will not find my real name on this blog only because of my employment. Rest assured I am not on the payroll of any politician or political group or organization, but I am somewhat in the public eye and I don't wish to have my personal views affect my professional life so I have choosen to blog under a pseudonym.

As you can probably tell from my blog roll I am a Liberal Democrat living in South Dakota. The reason I was moved to start this blog was really as an outlet for my frustrations. Over the last couple of years I have grown very weary of people like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck making wild and false accusations against anyone who disagrees with them and then ginning up their unthinking, unquestioning followers to act in reckless and irresponsible ways. The name of this blog comes from a quote by Thomas Jefferson regarding religion "Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." It seems to me that we should question with boldness not only the existence of God, but everything we hear and read. While this goal may be unattainable I believe it is the only way to experience true freedom. I have no idea if anyone will ever read this blog and I really don't care if anyone does.

I have left comments open to anyone who may actually read my rantings and want to comment, I only ask that we all treat each other with respect, afterall we are not the floor of United States Senate.

1 comment:

caheidelberger said...

"personal views affect my personal life"? I am curious: how would, for example, what you write above about Senator Coburn and freedom affect your personal life?

I think it is very important that liberal Democrats in South Dakota not feel they have to hide their identities, that they stake out their claims as real people, as neighbors with names. The more real we are, the harder it is to vilify and dismiss us. Just something to think about... and maybe discuss with us at the South Dakota Blogosphere Open House! (You can come and still be anonymous: just don't tell us you write a blog!)